Maintaining balanced nutrition is essential during CAR T-cell therapy to aid in the treatment and overall wellness. Those undergoing this therapy often face a higher risk of malnutrition.
Consider the following nutritional guidelines:
- Opt for frequent, small meals throughout the day, even if they consist of similar food items.
- In case of diarrhea, foods like warm, mild cereals, diluted clear juices, broths, scrambled eggs, and plain crackers can be beneficial.
- Ensure adequate hydration by drinking a minimum of 2 liters of fluids daily, preferably those without caffeine.
- Communicate any instances of nausea or reduced appetite to your medical team, as they can prescribe medication to alleviate these symptoms.
- Limit intake of high-sugar foods. Artificial sweeteners, fruits in natural juice, and sugar-free drinks are preferable.
Consultation with a nutritionist is vital to tailor your diet appropriately and select the right food items. Nutritional status is a critical aspect of CAR T-cell therapy, and dietary interventions play a significant role.
While detailed nutritional guidelines specific to CAR T-cell therapy are still under study, the basic principles of good nutrition and hydration remain integral to the therapy. Remember, individual needs may differ, so personalized advice from a healthcare provider or nutritionist experienced in CAR T-cell therapy is recommended.